Children with ADHD can have a hard time adjusting to new routines. Therefore, transitioning from the late, lazy mornings of summer to getting up early for school can be a challenge. If you fell off your regular sleep schedule this summer, here are some tips to help you get back on track and make certain your child gets enough sleep for a happier start to the new school year.
- Start waking your child up a little earlier each morning and put them to bed a little earlier each night.
- Give 30 minutes of downtime before lights out. Avoid electronic devices and find a calming activity like reading or listening to music.
- Get back to your bed-time and morning routines. This includes when they eat, get dressed, brush their teeth, etc.
- Make sure your child eats well and exercises daily. This will affect how quickly they fall asleep and for how long.
- Avoid napping during the day. After...